Happiness is mental harmony, unhappiness is mental inharmonyJames Allen
Widespread Commercial Materials for Roofs
It is of common truth that roof of any building plays an essential role in it. The part of the roof is to defend all the building structure. If the last doesn't suit the rest of the general construction of the house, it will suffer from natural phenomena and finally will be demolished by them.
A material used for building and which aim is to make secure and take care of th commercial construction is called commercial roofing. The difference between residential and commercial one lies in the form of the slope. In first case a steeply slope is used, while in the second one it is preferably flat.
In fact, there is a variety in the substances used for creating a roof and each of them is marked by pros and cons:
1. As for the slate roofing - it costs pretty much. From the other side it is long-lasting - from tens to hundreds of years. So, if to take into account this criteria, slate may be the best option as the most effective material in the point of cost. This kind of the material is represented in a big choice of sizes and thicknesses. It is not a problem to take care of it as soon as this substance is not afraid of algae and moss. This material is resistant to fire as well as water. Both hail and wind maay be added to the list of the things this material is repellent to. From the point of ecology it is considered to be safe as soon as it can be discarded as clean land fill or used again if recycled.
2. If we speak about asphalt shingles, they are mostly applied in steep-slope commercial roofing. It is represented in the choice of colouristic and stylistic decisions. As fo the cost they are not expensive and one more positive thing is that it is easy to fix them. At the same time this material gets spoilt very quickly. The phenomenon it is afraid of is strong wing, there were some facts of it to be blown off the roof. Hot sun and much moisture alos are not good to it, in the first case it can scar, in the second it can cover with mildew and moss. The usage of the material is also not safe for the environment.
3. The first item of "cons" for metal roofing is the big high cost of its application. One more point is that it is not resistant to wind, at the same time it can create much noise ion the conditions of rain or hail. There is no difficulty in leaving scratches or dents on it, so it is easy to be demaged. Having so many cons this material enjoys much popularity. It is believed to be strong, durable and fire resistant. It doesn"t require much efforts in maintaining, it is earth-friendly and can be recycled.
4. Built up roofing as one more option for roofind are connected with the so known "tar and gravel" roofs. This type is considered to be one of the oldest and most reliable commercial roofing systems for flat roof constructions. If we have a look how this system is created we see that it includes numerous plies of roof felts laminated together with bitumen. Even taking into consideration the high cost of this material they say that architects, engineers, building owners, roofing manufacturers and contractors are fond of it. As for the time of its usage it comes to 150 years. It is thick and long-lasting and resistant to moisture too. Having used this material for a long period of time, there is always a possibility to take care of it, repair it and use for some more time. The disadvantage of the material is the big financial expences for transportation. It weighs a lot and it is afraid of heat.
5. Modified Bitumen as another material is based on asphalt and is, in fact, a relative of closely related to Built up roofing (BUR). This material is applied both on low-slope and flat roof construcions. Designers approve of this material cause it gives them a bigger bunch of options than BUR.An extra thing is that these products undergo the same fire and uplift resistance testing standards that BUR goes through. To the cons of this material refers the fact that it is not absolutely effective on flat roofs because it is laid in only one layer and when there is a downpour and the roof area becomes totally submerged, water can find even the smallest opening. If this case happens, water will seep through your roof.
6. One more option is single ply roofing systems which are made by multiple layers of barriers and insulations fastened together mechanically. There is not much difficulty in fixing as soon as it is not heavy and rather thin. It is safe for ecology and it can be recycled. This kind of roofing system doesn't cost much especially comparing to other materials. Choosing this kind of cover for your roof, keep in mind that additional protective surface will be necessary.
All in all roofing material and its final choice is something that will make you think - just the same as other materials. To find the best option for your business, have a consultation with a roofing expert who will help you to make the right decision.